Put your email in the bar below to receive the my latest writings and news.

In the wee hours of ice and thought

I never thought that I would admit to missing Jacksonville in January. I was wrong. Now I am not saying that Jacksonville winter's were perfect, but I never missed the ice storms that you get up here in Knox and Atl. This though all seems a little fluff when we have a few things to really discuss: Atlanta sports in January.

With the Falcons season coming to an end (in one of the worst way's possible I might add) one may be quick to switch to a new season. Considering the moves the Braves just made I am tempted, but before we can discuss that we must talk about the Falcons.

Matt Ryan and Mike Smith have had great regular season success. They have both proved themselves, but their style of play has been a little puzzling and worrying to me as I have watched this season develop and grow.

First we all know Ryan as "Matty Ice" the quarter back who leads keeps a cool head under high pressure. Now as wonderful as Matt has been in bringing the Falcons back, I question the same thing that I have seen alot of others question: why does he have to salvage and save so many games?

During the playoffs this year we saw the perfect example of this twice: Falcon's go up big and then lose the lead. Now I am not a football expert, nor do I claim to be, but what we saw this playoff season was that you can not always rely on the comeback win. Each time the Falcons have been a number one seed I always had this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that they were not as good as they were advertised. That a 12-4 season could have just as easily been 8-8 or worse if a few games had not shifted the right way.

You see what I want to ask is not why Ryan is so great in the "clutch", but why does he have to be? I feel to a certain extent that if your house keeps flooding you do not simply always call in the best repair crew to clean up, but at some point you try to find the source of the problem.

Personally I think it falls on a combination of the players, Mike Smith, and our conditioning.... Our team does not finish games and that is not acceptable.

The Falcon's failure though can not drown out the entire post when the Braves have done something amazing: they added Justin.... Yes they had to part ways with Prado (my favorite player) but they added one of the best young outfielders in the game. They added one of the best outfielders in the game for pennies on the dollar.

This past year I have been very critical of the Braves coaching and front office staff and now that they have done something well I feel I must give them the proper respect and admiration. In the Braves line up now they have the possibility of receiving 20 plus home runs from 7 of the nine spots. The Braves and Frank addressed the need to find a reliable way of scoring runs this off season and I must applaud them for that.

The last time I was at Turner Field I got to see Chipper retire and fans unite and now I must say I am excited for opening day again, a game I get to see with my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment