Put your email in the bar below to receive the my latest writings and news.

Translator

When I was younger friends always asked me what super power I would want to have. Sometimes I would say flying, other times super strength or speed, but until today I really did not realize how ridiculous some of these things were. You train to get the latter two and for the first all you need is a glider of some sort. I know this is simplifying them, but to an extent you can embrace these powers without anything superhuman. No, it was not until I started watching more Star Trek and saw a silly cell phone commercial did I truly realize what super power I would want: the ability to speak and understand any language.

This revelation came to me through a culmination of events. One of them being the silly video below:


As silly as this commercial is it speaks to a larger problem within our society: the language barrier. This is something that you can find in social media, movies, TV, social discourses, and everyday life if you simply keep your eyes and, more importantly, your ears open. In my estimation language barriers account for the greatest driving force in social distance, separation  and disagreement.  If there was such thing as a universal translator I think we could truly discover how similar we are and more importantly put an end to much of the ignorance that separates us from one another. 

The reason I feel justified in making such a bold claim is because I find the evidence around me. When I was younger I remember sitting in Spanish class being told that there is no exact translation for this. Being told that the meaning gets "lost in translation." Working retail I am flummoxed every time I am greeted with a customer who I can not communicate with due to language. While overseas I can not shake the feeling that I am losing something important by not speaking in the native tongue of the people. That I am losing some of the truth and meaning embedded and simply pushing ignorance farther. 

Part of this is based in philosophical hermeneutics. Which in short examines the problems language creates when trying to interpret what another person or text is saying. When it comes to translation though we do not even get to that level, because we are not interpreting what the person says, we are simply trying to decode it. When we are stuck trying to decode something we lose objectivity and meaning. We also lose any sense of trying to interpret or truly comprehend what the other person is saying. We must put so much effort into trying to translate it that in the end we can not allow ourselves to see the broader truth or value in their words or statements. We get lost on the small stuff and miss the broader picture in front of our own eyes. 

I think this problem of social distance and culture created by language becomes more pronounced when one can actually hold a discourse on culture in a common language. In our modern world this does happen. However I find that when it does a concept or a cultural idea comes up that simply does not translate well and the conversation stops. That is why for this example I want to turn to the wonderful world of Star Trek. 

In pretty much all iterations of Star Trek a universal translator exists. This is something I think becomes lost on us quickly as we do not mind not having to read subtitles or listen to inaudible sounds called foreign languages. This translator though, overshadows the fact that there are hundreds if not thousands of languages present in every single Star Trek series. That every time a new culture is met the translator allows them to communicate and exchange ideas fluidly and without delay. It is also because of this that cultural distinction becomes so clear. The Vulcans can talk about logic without any delay or barrier of language. The Farangie of trade, or the Borg of perfection. It is because there is not a language barrier that their cultures truly shine and become unique. The differences and the ability to transverse those differences becomes possible because everyone can understand one another and no one is flying in ignorance. 

It is amazing how during episodes where the translator does not work how noticeable it truly becomes. How in other show like "The Amazing Race" language plays a crucial role when one does not understand or can not communicate. We forget that as I write this, as we speak, that language to a large extent is how we interact with and understand the world. That beyond speaking we understand our world with our native tongue and we forget this until it is presented to us and we are made uncomfortable. 

This is why I feel like the biggest step to be made in diplomacy, in striking out ignorance in this world is some sort of universal translator. We all know that feeling of not knowing a language and how uncomfortable we get when we do not. We have Rosetta stone and software programs, but we all know that these things do not truly capture the language. I know a universal translator more side steps the problem in a way, but outside of super powers I think it is a great first step. So unless you have a free super power to give away, I suggest we pull our efforts into creating a universal translator to combat the ignorance and separation of the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment